Friday, November 02, 2007

Rediscovering Kafka

One of my favourite places in Prague is the Franz Kafka museum. We stumbled across it last time we visited and went back last week with friends.

It's a fabulously weird and very contemporary museum that seeks to capture the spirit as well as the story of Kafka's life. It draws you in through a series of well-crafted exhibits and installations using video and animation, water and filing cabinets (the latter in the most creative and intriguing way I've ever seen in a museum!)

Suffice it to say that visiting this time persuaded me to get a biography of the great and enigmatic writer and start re-reading the novels. It seems to me that he is still as contemporary as he was when I first read him as a teenager.

1 comment:

lynn said...

Gosh, it's a long time since I have heard someone speak with admiration for Kafka and certainly the first time in my teeny weeny little blog circle (I don't get very far!) I had to read Kafka for my first year level German class at University and, while I found it hard to do so in a foreign language, his work fascinated me.

I didn't know about the museum. Would hope to visit friends in Prague next year so thanks for the tip!