Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Seeing the end of the apocalypse

I've just finished the notes for our final session on the apocalypse. It's been great fun doing this even though I've felt at times that I've drowning in john's imagery.

But one thing I have come away more than ever firmly convinced of is that John's letter to these scattered urban communities across the western end of Asia minor is one of the most potent missional texts in the New Testament.

We get so caught up in the imagery, convinced that John is writing to confirm our particular system of theology and narrow conception of the New Jerusalem as a life raft for people like me, that we miss the central unveiling of God's purpose: that through his people the nations of the world will be brought into God's Kingdom and bring their glory and wealth into his city.

This is the end (that is goal) of John's apocalypse and if that's not missional, I'm not sure what is.

1 comment:

Geoff Colmer said...

Hi Simon! Just to let you know I've tagged you for a music meme - the point is to write about moments when music just made you stand still in wonder, but not to write about your all-time-favourite music. I'd be fascinated to hear your choice, but don't feel obliged! Geoff