Sunday, September 14, 2008

Reminded of Moltmann

Roger emailed yesterday to remind me of Jurgen Moltmann on hope. I hadn't forgotten but I hadn't consulted his wonderful Theology of Hope for the present series, thinking it was probably too demanding. But yesterday evening I found this:

'Christianity is eschatology, is hope, forward looking and forward moving, and therefore also revolutionising and transforming the present.' (Theology of Hope SCM 1967, p16).

That pretty much says it all, I think. And this:

'For Christian faith lives from the raising of the crucified Christ and strains after the promises of the universal future of Christ...the eschatological outlook is characteristic of all Christian proclamation, of every Christian existence and of the whole church.'.

Great stuff to ponder on a sunny Sunday morning.

No comments: