Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Thought-provoking lunches

Today I had an extremely enjoyable lunch discussing how we might set up some kind of social enterprise at church, bookended by visits to our annual holiday at home. As ever one of the issues that came up over lunch, which had nothing to do with the reason for getting together, has left me pondering...

It was about the nature of ministry, more specifically ordained ministry and what it's all about for us baptists. This is something that I am not that vexed about but enjoy talking about from time to time. I'm pretty anabaptist about all this (I think; if I understand this tradition correctly). I believe in the priesthood of all believers and the prophethood of all priests; I believe that Ephesians 4:11 applies to everyone in the church, not a select band of chosen leaders. So what is this ordination thing all about?

I feel the need to ponder this. Anyone care to help?

No comments: