Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Stipe on doing something about it

Came across a nice quote from Michael Stipe (he of REM and the heavy blue eyeliner) on Faithnet. He was talking about his reactions to Katrina's devastation of New Orleans. He said:

The most godly way to respond to something like this is to put everything aside and say, "You are my brother and sister, and I am here. I have not forgotten. I have not turned my back. I've not allowed the news cycle to dictate whether I am paying attention to the circumstance you found yourself in or not. I am here."

He went on to speak warmly of his Methodist parents and the fact that he came from a long line of Methodist ministers. You can read it at www.beliefnet.com/story/187/story_18748_1.html. It puts Losing My Religion (one of the most incredible songs of the 1990s) into an interesting perspective. I just hope he and his band can capture the spirit that produced that song on their next album.

No comments: